Sunday 1 July 2018

Why You Should Be Going To The Dentist

For some reason, people have this extremely weird aversion to going to the dentist. I have honestly never been able to figure out what people hate so much about going to the dentist. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? It’s not like they are going to kill you or cause you any extreme pain. With modern medicine in this day and age, it’s very rare that you will face any serious pain when going to the dentist. Maybe some mild discomfort, but I am sure you can handle that.

The thing is, if you think about what dental care used to look like a hundred years ago or more, we have it pretty good in 2021. For example, pretty much any operation you could undergo at the dentist will be heavily aided by anesthetic and different types of painkillers. You don’t even have to be awake a lot of the time, depending on what you’re receiving care for at the dentist. I know that for me personally, I was completely knocked out when I had my wisdom teeth removed at the oral surgeon's place. Super great experience to just be completely dead to the world for a hot second, not even aware that I’m still alive or not. I think I imagine death being like that - where you aren’t even able to be aware that you’re dead. You just enter a deep state of sleep forever. 


Anyways, sorry that got a little bit dark. What I am trying to tell you is that you should definitely be going to the dentist at least twice a year, or every six months if that’s easier for you to understand. I have come up with a short list of reasons for why you should be going to the dentist regularly. The first reason is because oral cancer exists, and you might be at risk. I know that’s hard to hear, but I am telling you the truth when I say things can get really bad for you if you have oral cancer. Oral cancer is an extremely serious disease and can manifest itself in your mouth in a variety of ways.


The biggest way to beat oral cancer is to simply catch it early and try to stop it before it gets too bad. Going to the dentist for a regular checkup is critical in being able to quickly catch mouth cancer before it can get worse. Dentists are highly trained to recognize early signs of oral cancer. Even if you may not notice any abnormalities within your mouth, your dentist definitely will and will be able to help you out in the long run.


Another reason that you should be going to the dentist is because they can treat you for plaque, tartar, and cavities. Even if you have great dental hygiene, brush your teeth religiously, and even floss on the regular, you are still susceptible to missing some areas and this can lead to tooth decay. No one enjoys getting their teeth cleaned at the dentist, but there is a reason that they take it so seriously. It’s because a lot of that plaque and tartar needs to be removed before it can develop into cavities and lead to tooth decay. Now get off your chair and go to the dentist!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why You Should Be Going To The Dentist

For some reason, people have this extremely weird aversion to going to the dentist. I have honestly never been able to figure out what peopl...